In this post I have explained few simple instructions on how to enable .htaccess mod_rewrite in wamp/xampp.
Actually mod_rewrite is an Apache web server module which is used to rewrite a URL at the server level. This module has a variety of uses like used to redirect one URL to another URL, maps a URL to a filesystem path etc. But it is most frequently used to provide clean, search engine friendly URLs.
Instructions on how to enable .htaccess mod_rewrite in wamp/xampp
1. Go to the directory of installation C:\xampp>\apache\conf
2. Open and edit httpd.conf in a text editor
3. Find the line which contains
remove (#) from start of line to make modue enable
Now line will look like below
4. Now find all occurrences of
and change to
It appears 2 or 3 times on the configuration file.
5. Finally restart wamp/xampp server to make it work.
Now mod_rewrite module installed and you can make your site’s URLs search engine friendly using .htaccess.